Sunday, May 1, 2011

Mutant Future for Atari

A while back, I made some Atari labels for Mutant Future. I never made any game graphics for them, as I can not ponder that could capture the awesomeness! The best I can think of, is a setup like Adventure or Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Cloudy Mountain (form Intellivision).

I have fond memories of my old Atari 2600 system, as a child, but once the Nintendo came out, there was no turning back. Beyond better graphics, the NES offered the level of challenge that I could not pass up. Many of those games where brutally unfair to gamers, and had problems that forced the players to think outside the box. Years later (around the mid-90s) I replayed them, but the NES made me so skilled and spoiled, that it became more of a novelty, then anything else.

This is the site for the Atari 2600 Label Maker, and these are what I made with it:

Mutant Future Atari Black Label

Mutant Future Atari Black Cover

Mutant Future Atari Silver Label

Mutant Future Atari Silver Cover 1

Mutant Future Atari Silver Cover 2

The only thing missing are fake screen shots for this imaginary game, but this is still good.

I like to thank James Maliszewski (from Grognardia) for showing me the link for Adventure! I have never played it until recently.

In my Atari years, I would have eventually flipped the game, but now, I had that game beat when I discovered the patterns, and flipped it (playing all difficulties, with both handicaps on and off) within a few hours. Its so funny killing the dragons with the bat, while its carrying the lance. In my mind's eye, I picture the hero (a blip on the screen) holding the bat by the wing-tip, while it flaps its other wing profusely, as it aimless waves the lance (the pointy stick) around. LOL

1 comment:

Justin S. Davis said...

Those labels are crazy great.

I would've KILLED to play that game as a wee one.